Dominica, the Nature Island of the Caribbean, is located at 15º25′N, 61º20′W. Its 290m²/754km² are covered in luxurious, verdant forest. The varied flora and fauna are protected by an extensive natural park system and it is the only island to still shelter two surviving ancient Amazona parrots, the Sisserou (Amazona imperialis) and the Jacko/Red Necked Parrot (Amazona aurasiaca). This is the most mountainous of the Lesser Antilles Islands and visitors can explore hot springs, three freshwater lakes, the world’s second largest Boiling Lake, 50 fumaroles and five volcanoes. The highest point is the Morne Trois Pitons at 4,550ft/1,387m. Dominica is also home to many cetaceans – there are frequent sightings of a group of sperm whales who live in this area year round, and the visitor can also enjoy the antics of spinner dolphins, pantropical spotted dolphins and bottlenose dolphins.
The name Dominica comes from the Latin word dies Dominica for Sunday, when the island was spotted by Christopher Columbus (3 November 1493). Before that, the Caribs knew it as Wai’tu kubuli meaning ‘Tall is her body’.
Fun things to do in Dominica: incredible diving and, of course, exploring its famous natural beauty, including hot springs, whale and dolphin watching, historical places of interest, and wonderful local crafts. The excellent buys to be found among local handicrafts include hats, bags and rugs made from vetiver grass joined with wild banana strands. The Carib Reserve Crafts Centre produces bags made from two layers of reeds that are buried in the ground to achieve a three-color effect and covered with a layer of broad banana-type leaf to make them waterproof.
Visiting Dominica and wondering where to stay, what to do, where to eat and how to get around? We’ve got you covered with our list of hotels, restaurants, activities, car hire, shopping & more. Browse through for more details.
Choose from hotels, real estate, villas & cottages
Cottages & Small Inns
Hotels & Resorts
- Anchorage Hotel, Whale Watch & Dive Centre
- Caribbean Sea View Holiday Apartments
- Fort Young Hotel
- Garraway Hotel
- La Flamboyant Hotel
- Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
- Picard Beach Cottages
- Portsmouth Beach Hotel
- Rosalie Bay Resort
- Secret Bay
- Sunrise Garden Apartments
- Sunset Bay Club Beach Hotel & SeaSide Dive Resort
- Sutton Place Hotel
- Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant
Try watersports, golf, scuba diving, tours & more
Air, Land & Sea
- Anchorage Whale Watch & Dive Centre, Marine Mammal Interpretation Center
- Brandy Manor Guest House & Equestrian Centre
- Champagne Reef Dive & Snorkel
- Cobra Tours & Yacht Services
- Dive Dominica
- Dominica Tours
- Eddie Tours & Taxi Services
- Extreme Dominica Canyoning & Adventure Tours
- JC Ocean Adventures Dive Center & Boutique
- KHATTS Tours
- Nature Island Adventure Tours
- Rainforest Riding Dominica- Bay St.
- Rainforest Riding Dominica- Granby St.
- Salton Waterfalls